Large landmarks are starting to appear all over Canada, nowhere truer than in Alberta. Beaverlodge celebrated its 75th Anniversary of incorporation on July 21, 2004, and part of our celebration included the unveiling of a Giant Beaver Sculpture on our highway corridor. Our Beaver is a remarkable roadside attraction surrounded by interpretive signage (history, habitat, behavior of the animal, along with Town information). A must to see in Northwestern Alberta on your way up the Alaska Highway.
The “Beaver Project” was initiated by a local entrepreneur Alex Lojczyc, who had always dreamed of giving Beaverlodge something to bolster town spirits and encourage tourists to visit our pretty little town. It all began in February, 2004 when the idea took shape. From there, grant applications were submitted and donations were solicited. With the support of all the generous contributions and encouragement of Recreation Director, Randy Boettcher, town office staff and council, the dream became a reality!
Recent history saw the United States Air Force establish a radar base in 1952 on top of Saskatoon Mountain. The base was turned over to the Canadian Government in 1963, becoming Canadian Forces Station Beaverlodge. The base was closed permanently in August of 1988. There is a picnic area at the top of the mountain.
The Beaverlodge Beaver is an engineering marvel. It took 90 gallons of polyurethane to coat, approx. 13 gallons of paint, and 18 blocks of foam to make the sculpture. Heavy Industries in Calgary built the beaver in two section, the beaver and the log. The site was prepared by Dick’s Sand and Gravel.
On July 16th, 2004, the magnificent Beaver Sculpture was hauled in by Domart Energy by truck from Calgary through Edmonton, then up Highway 43 to Beaverlodge, AB.
Northern Lights, ATCO, 1st Choice Electrical Supply, Northern Bottling Ltd., and Prairie Signs completed the project, providing lighting and signage.